There is a job going at The Stable. Read on...please share with anyone you think might be interested.
Job Title and Purpose
Facilities Manager (Creative Coworking Hub). The purpose of this role is to efficiently manage The Stable Creative Hub’s building and facilities and to administer the coworking space within it. To include systems, processes and building development.
This is a 0.8 FT role/ equiv. four days per week. Hours are mainly between the normal working hours of 8.30am and 5.30pm though other hours (an occasional early morning meeting, evening event or late opening) may be required.
October interviews are likely with a November 2018 / January 2019 start date.
To efficiently manage The Stable Creative Hub’s building and facilities and to administer the coworking space within it. To include systems, processes and building development.
Are you a friendly ‘people person’ with an organised work ethic and lively work tempo? If so, The Stable Creative Hub – Weston-super-Mare’s coworking space – needs you to be its new Facilities Manager. The Stable’s current manager (who oversaw the hub’s initial refurb and set-up in 2017) will move up to the role of Business Development Manager, with additional responsibility for all marketing and communications activities. This new in-house Facilities role will manage all building-related matters, with ad-hoc project management responsibilities - including internal refurb works - as the space and its members and tenants develop. Find the Job Spec and Person Spec below. If you’re sitting comfortably, read beyond that for more info to help set the scene. (We've gone for the 'more information from the outset' approach...)
In 2019 The Stable Creative Hub (coworking space, meeting rooms and private offices for the digital, tech and creative industries) will more than double in size. With lots of activity on the horizon including Phase Two internal refurbishments in 2019, here’s what you’ll get stuck into from the get go. Due to the day-to-day management nature of the role, it is based at The Stable and is not suited to applicants seeking to work remotely.
Responsibilities (Facilities Management)
- Manage and evaluate utilities and subcontractors (including cleaners)
- Manage IT/ software systems (swipe access system, CCTV etc.)
- Oversee H&S, compliance matters and minor internal works (an external company is employed to assist in matters of Fire, H&S and Compliance)
- Project-manage the Phase Two internal refurbishment (and potentially other works)
- Liaise with the building’s tenants as required (i.e. private office renters, The Heritage Café)
- Be responsible for all elements of The Stable’s Facilities Management – that is to say manage and administer the building itself and the coworking space within it.
Responsibilities (Business Administration)
- Develop hub processes, policies and practices
- Become expert in all hub softwares (financial, check-in, bookings, members)
- Manage building-related finances, budgeting and forecasting (our accountant can assist)
- Prepare annual Service Charge reports for tenants
- Use building insights to contribute towards business development
- Create facilities and building-related reports for the board as required
- Assist Front of House with meeting room and catering set up during busy periods
- Oversee membership administration (mainly done by Front of House role)
- Positive and unflappable
- Happy to work with autonomy and with others
- Confident dealing with members and subcontractors
- Good customer service
- Organised, orderly and process driven
- Excellent literacy and numeracy
- Versatile, to meet the building’s and the business’s changing demands
- Experience in a similar or relevant role will be beneficial
Line management responsibilities
The Facilities Manager post at 0.8 FT is line-managed by the Business Development Manager (at 0.6 FT). The Facilities Manager will line-manage Front of House/ Reception, currently one full-time staff member, who takes care of member admin; tours; online enquiries; meeting room bookings and prep; and office, cleaning and catering consumable stock. The Business Development Manager reports to the Hub Weston CIC board.
- Great working environment with friendly colleagues and members
- Close to cafés, pubs, the beach, the park
- Chance to really put your stamp on a growing coworking hub
- Bean-to-cup coffee machine on site
- Flexible hours (around core days/ hours - this is an in-house role)
- Local car-parking permit available (to buy)
- Free cycle parking inside and nearby
- 10 minute walk from Weston’s train station
- 20 to 30 minutes on the train from Bristol
Background (sitting comfortably?!)
The Stable is an independent Community Interest Company, with a Board in place, set up to nurture North Somerset’s growing digital, tech and creative community. Talented people from Bristol and beyond are pouring into Weston attracted by the great value housing and quality of life, widening the town's existing and growing talent pool. A 1km walk from Weston train station, The Stable is in Grove Village, Weston’s cultural quarter. Moments away from two theatres, Weston College, arty eateries, live music venues, independent shops, a park café and, of course, the broad sandy beach, it’s a great spot for the town’s bright and contemporary coworking hub.
The Telegraph recently dubbed Weston the ‘Margate of the south west’ and the Arts Council England calls Weston a ‘cultural beacon’ from which other coastal resorts can learn. Oh and of course Banksy’s Dismaland was here, which kind of took the world by storm.
So why is this relevant to you, you just want another job, right? It’s relevant because The Stable seeks to employ someone who is visibly excited by the ongoing regeneration of Weston and about developing this coworking space, its buildings and its community. Someone interested (or prepared to get interested) in the digital, tech and/ or creative worlds would be great. Ideally, The Stable wants a new staff member for whom this isn’t ‘just another job’. We want someone to help turn Weston’s first coworking hub into something dynamic; someone who is keen to develop the project in future directions; someone who’s keen to put Weston firmly on the map as a great place to live and work.
This is a lot to ask we know, so don’t worry if you don’t tick all of the boxes. If this role excites you and you think you’re the right type of person for the job – give or take a few skills you might need to pick up along the way – fill out our Online Application Form. We really want to hear from as many people as possible. Traditional and unconventional work histories are welcomed so don’t be put off applying. If you like the sound of the job and the place, and think this might be the job for you, apply and we'll go from there!
Complete our Online Application Form here. Applicants are welcome to visit the hub – announced or as ‘mystery shoppers’, the choice is yours – to get a feel for the place before or after applying. Free one-day hot-desking trials are always available.
Complete and submit our Online Application Form by 12 noon, Fri 21 Sep 2018. Applications received after this date (and applicants seeking remote working) will not be considered.
Job Type and Salary
Salary: £24,000.00 to £28,000.00 / year pro rata for 0.8FT
Email us and we'll get back to you.